Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Indian vegetarian cooking class in Yangon

It took me a while before attending my first cooking class in Myanmar. And it was not even a Myanmar cooking class. This Saturday I attended an Indian vegetarian cooking class which included several dishes out of which one was Myanmar.

Before the cooking class a visit to the downtown Indian market and shops was necessary. I met my lovely teacher Ms Beena at the Indian Kali Temple Gate in downtown. She showed me some Indian shops from where to buy the spices, the yoghurt, the vegetables or the required Indian products before cooking. It was a very useful visit in which I additionally learnt from where to buy fresh noodles and the shop where I can buy fresh coconuts and have the milk and the pulp prepared for me.

Back to Ms Beena's kitchen with excellent views of Shwedagon Pagoda she explained to us the recipes and the ingredients needed. The vegetables were already cut or transformed in a paste (onion, green chilies, ginger) and prepared in small bowls which helped us hugely during the cooking process.

In a pleasant and natural way Ms Beena showed us how to prepare the dishes having sometimes three pans simultaneously on the fire. Everything seemed easy. The smell and the various colours of the dishes were making us hungry. Indian kitchen is very rich in spices and flavours. For the dishes prepared we were using ginger, garlic, onion, chilly, chestnuts paste, turmeric, coriander, garam masala, mustard, cumin seeds and lemon.

Once everything ready we tasted the food and it was incredibly good. Ah, and I learnt how to bake roti bread!

Contact details of Ms Beena:
beena.shah.1993@gmail.com
Mobile: 09253103023

Enjoy the pictures:













No comments:

Post a Comment